Werbung

Temporary Climate shift?

Alles zu (Un)wetter relevant für die Schweiz
Jim Douris

Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Jim Douris »

I have sent this queston to Willi today and he suggested I add it to this weather forum. I hope it is ok that I write in english :)

Looking at the long range models (MRF, MM5)I do not think there will be any chance of severe weather through at least early September. The upper level pattern is too defuse as has been the case for the last several months. I can't remember when we have so little chance for strong to severe thunderstorms. It seems(?) to correlate with the weak hurricane season in the Atlantic. The hurricane season has had very few tropical storms (3 to be exact) with no Hurricane's. Of course this can change rapidly but I think something has happened to the climate pattern to cause this much of a shift in the weather. What do you think?

Jim

Willi
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 3886 Mal
Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Willi »

Hast Du eine konkrete Vorstellung zum "temporary climate shift"?

Gruss Willi
Gruss Willi
Immer da wenn's wettert

Jim Douris

Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Jim Douris »

I have not made a study of the change but using my experience over the last 10 -15 years or so, I have not seen a period quite like this in the upper atmosphere. As an illustration look at the NCEP ENS. Mean - 500MB chart at http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/map/images/ens/500znhanim.gif then look at the 300mb MRF from today at http://weather.unisys.com/mrf/mrf_pres_9panel_eur.html. The 300mb MRF shows a very defuse pattern very much what we have been experiencing over the past month or two. There are multiple jet Max’s (all relatively weak) with a pattern resembling an omega block on day three but not able to close off completely. Then on day 5 it shows a promising Jet max coming from south of Iceland but by day 8 the energy is depleted by the cut off low in southwest Spain and the multiple trophs over the UK and Sweden. As far as the NCEP ENS. Mean - 500MB chart, it shows a persistent troph off the east coast of the USA witch will cause any tropical storm or Hurricane above 22n to re-curve northward. In addition if you look at the grey contour part of the animated gif you see the same defuse pattern with multiple cold low areas rotating through the flow. In order for an increased chance of severe weather (on average there is always the possibility of isolated severe activity) you would need to see a high zonal flow with the jet stream at around 300mb. This is a symptom of equilibrium between the cold air to the north and warm air to the south. This normally reflects itself in a faster Jet stream and thus the eventual buckling of the flow due to various causes. When this happens then we have the strong triggers needed for widespread severe weather outbreaks (whether in the USA or in Europe).

This spring in Central Europe we did not have a strong zonal flow develop. The flow was very much as it is now defuse. As long as this pattern continues we will not see very much severe thunderstorm activity here in central Europe.

I must make one statement about the NCEP ENS. Mean - 500MB chart. It is by nature a mean thus toward the end of the animated series you see the amount of anomalies decrease and then a more zonal flow develop. This in inherent in the model because it by the end of the period it has taken a mean of a mean of a mean…, thus smoothing out the contours.

Jim

Federwolke
Danksagung erhalten: 7637 Mal
Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Federwolke »

Interessante Theorie. Tatsächlich habe ich mich auch gefragt, weshalb wir diesen Sommer in der Schweiz eine relativ schwache Gewittertätigkeit beobachten konnten. Zumindest wenn ich mit letztem Jahr vergleiche, so muss ich sagen: so ruhig wie diesen Sommer habe ich selten geschlafen... ;-) Einzig die aussergewöhnlich trockene Periode im August/September 1991 ist mir noch in bester Erinnerung. Vielleicht gibt es da Parallelen?
Allerdings möchte ich davon absehen, nun aufgrund dieser "temporary" aussergewöhnlich ruhigen Saison bereits wieder von Klimaveränderungen zu sprechen. Man bedenke, dass das Klima den Durchschnittswert mehrerer Jahre berücksichtigt. Anomalien innerhalb dieser langfristigen Perioden hat es immer gegeben und wird es auch immer geben.
Ich vertrete sowieso die Auffassung, dass bei der gegenwärtigen Theorie der Klimaveränderung die Gewittertätigkeit in Mitteleuropa eher zunehmen wird, nicht zuletzt wegen der in der Atmosphäre zunehmenden Energie, die sich entladen muss. Die zahlreichen und starken Gewitter mit Millionenschäden in der Schweiz der letzten Jahre deuten zumindest darauf hin. Auch dürfen wir nicht vergessen, dass während "unserer" ruhigen Zeit in den letzten Wochen nur wenige hundert Kilometer nordöstlich von uns gewaltig die Post abging. Oder sind die Nachrichten aus Polen und Tschechien schon wieder in Vergessenheit geraten?
Mich würde interessieren, was ihr darüber denkt.

Liebe Grüsse vom Choppiger Wetterfröschli

- Editiert von Fabienne am 22.08.2001, 23:36 -

- Editiert von Fabienne am 22.08.2001, 23:40 -

Jim Douris

Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Jim Douris »

I wish clear up what I was suggesting in this topic. I am not suggesting a full climate change just a temporary shift. I am mainly putting forward a technical look at the northern hemisphere synoptic pattern. I have noticed that over the spring and summer the Jet stream (which is just a symptom of what is happening in the lower atmosphere) has been very defuse and thus there has been no large outbreaks of severe weather so far this year in central Europe (the central US has had very little activity as well compared with former years). There has been severe weather as stated by Fabienne in Polen and Tschechien and other areas of the world which I think would be consistent with what I am trying to point out. A climate shift would mean that the normal pattern over central Europe has been shifted north or east from us or that some other areas receive too much severe weather vs. other areas. This could be because of many reasons (e.g. sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic, a shift in the gulf stream direction, etc…).

Have a good day,

Jim

Markus (Horw)
Danksagung erhalten: 83 Mal
Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Markus (Horw) »

Ich möchte hier noch einen anderen Punkt einbringen. Ich habe schon gelesen, dass die Sonnenfleckenaktivität auch deutliche Auswirkungen auf das Wetter bei uns haben kann. So gab es im 17. Jahrhundert während der "kleinen Eiszeit" keine Sonnenflecken. (Damit auch weniger Möglichkeiten von Auswirkungen auf unser Magnetfeld)

Könnte die unterschiedliche Aktivität der Sonne nicht auch Auswirkungen auf unser Wetter haben. Fabienne hat ja oben erwähnt, dass letztes Mal so wenig lief 1991. Dann und heute sind wir knapp nach dem Sonnenfleckenmaximum.

Gibt es in meteorologischer Sicht hier schon Studien, wie sich der Sonnenfleckenzyklus genau auf unser Klima auswirkt?

Grüsse Markus
Markus Burch

Federwolke
Danksagung erhalten: 7637 Mal
Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Federwolke »

Hallo Markus

Ja, diese Theorie wird von einigen Physikern vertreten. Leider bin ich in Physik nicht sehr bewandert, aber wenn ich das richtig verstanden habe, sind die Sonnenflecken der sichtbare Teil, was nicht sichtbar ist, ist der dadurch stärkere Sonnenwind. Dieser soll laut besagter Theorie ebenfalls zum Treibhauseffekt beitragen. Was ich jedoch nicht unterstützen kann ist die Aussage, dass nur der Sonnenwind zur Erwärmung des Erdklimas beiträgt. Denn diese Gruppe von Wissenschaftlern stellt nur ihre Forschung in den Vordergrund und streitet eine Erwärmung durch die Zunahme von CO2 in der Atmospäre ab.

Mich würde auch interessieren, welche Auswirkungen der Sonnenwind auf unser Wetter hat. Wer weiss mehr darüber?

Gruss

Markus (Horw)
Danksagung erhalten: 83 Mal
Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Markus (Horw) »

Antworten dazu evtl auf http://www.meteoros.de und dort ins Polarlichtforum.

Evtl. müssten wir dazu mal Ulrich Rieth fragen.

Was mir bekannt ist, das der Sonnenwind aus verschiednen Teilchen besteht. (Je nach Event auf der Sonne) Bei einem CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) steigt jetzt die Geschwindigkeit des Windes an. Ebenso die Teilchendichte. Dies wiederum hat Auswirkungen auf unser Magnetfeld. Dieses wird durch den Druck der Teilchen verformt. Wenn jetzt trotz unseres Magnetfeldes einzelne Teile in das Innere dieser "Zwiebel" kommen, reagieren sie mit den Teilchen in der Atmosphäre. Je nach Stärke ist dies in höheren oder tieferen Bereichen der Atmosphäre der Fall. So entsthen auch die Polarlichter. (Die Farben entsprechen auch den reagierenden Stoffen)

Wie genau der physikalische Prozess abläuft kann ich auch nicht genau sagen. Da aber Teilchen in der Atmosphäre mit anderen reagieren und neue Teilchen bilden, könnte es sein, das diese Stoffe dann auch Auswirkungen auf unser Klima haben. Die Auswirkungen auf die Energiebilanz der Atmosphäre dürfte bei einem Sonnenfleckenmaximum stärker sein als bei einem Minimum. Allerdings ist bei einem Sonnenfleckenminimum (Sonnenwind dann geringer) der Anteil der kosmischen Strahlung wieder höher, die auch wieder mit den oberen Schichten der Atmosphäre reagiert. Allerdings ist die Teilchenzusammensetzung der kosmischen Strahlung anders als beim Sonnenwind. Sollen wir unsere Fragen mal ins Polarlichtforum stellen?

Uebrigens hatten wir gestern abend um 18.45 Uhr den grössten Ausbruch auf der Sonne seit April. Es handelt sich um einen X5.3 Flare. Dieser entstand aus der Sonnenfleckengruppe links unten auf der Sonne. Diese Komplex hat einen vierfachen Durchmesser der Erde. (http://www.spaceweather.com)

Achtung evtl. Polarlichter am Montag abend oder Dienstags. Wie seht Ihr eigentlich die Wetterentwicklung für diese Tage?

Es grüsst
Markus Burch

Dani Murer

Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Dani Murer »

Hallo zämä,

soviel ich weiss hat der Sonnenwind keine direkten Auswirkungen auf das Klima, sondern in erster Linie beeinflussen die pos. geladenen He-Kerne das Erdmagnetfeld (wie bereits erwähnt). Allerdings wird natürlich durch die höhere Strahlungsintensität, hervorgerufen durch die Sonnenflecken, natürlich auch der Erdboden und damit die darüberlagernde Luft mehr erwärmt als "normal".

Bezüglich den häufiger auftretenden Gewittern wie jemand erwähnt hat...ist in keinem Zusammenhang mit dem Sonnenwind erklärbar, da ja die Aufladung durch Reibung in konvektiven Wolken ensteht. Und ausserdem sind speziell häufiger auftretende Gewitter nicht in Klimamodellen erfassbar...das wäre zu komplex zu beschreiben.

Hier aber noch ein Link der vielleicht erklärt warum die Hurrican -Saison bis jetzt so schwach war: Der Atlantik an der afrik. Westküste ist zu "kalt" -> Anomalie!

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst_anom.html

Gruss
Dani Murer

Jim Douris

Temporary Climate shift?

Beitrag von Jim Douris »

Hello everyone again,

I must say Dani Murrer has point but it is not the whole story. He pointed out that the sea surface temperatures are lower than normal in the Atlantic and that would be a cause for so few Atlantic born Hurricanes (none). But I must make the additional comment the waters off of Africa, East of 30 degrees are normally too cold for Hurricane development . In addition, the number of Hurricanes that come from that region of the Atlantic, where the colder water is currently, are few in comparison with the season total. Most Hurricanes will develop in the Caribbean, north of the Caribbean, eastern seaboard of the US (gulf stream) and the Gulf of Mexico. In these regions the sea surface temperatures are normal to above normal. Sea surface temperatures are an indication of potential hurricane activity but not the absolute cause as long as the average 50 meter water temperature is 27.5 C or above.

As far as using the climate models to show thunderstorm activity, I would like to say that my point must not have been clear enough. My perspective in my suggestion “Climate shift?” is purely synoptically oriented. In addition, a temporary climate shift is not a permanent climate change. You can liken it to El nino or the effects in Europe when the gulf stream shifts to the south or the north. I will try to explain my point again: The dynamics aloft in the upper atmosphere (500mb and above), reflect and in some cases and can drive the mid to lower atmosphere weather events. If the upper atmosphere is chaotic and has no real flow established you will have weaker jet streams and many cut off low situations. Classically for severe thunderstorm events (not isolated severe thunderstorms or the occasional severe thunderstorm that accompanies a front) you would need stronger jets streams (normally in the core 130-200 kts) with a buckling of the flow. We have not had this in the northern hemisphere from the spring through now. Although, I do see some changes happening now that could mean an increased risk of severe weather events for central Europe. I should also mention the suggestions of sun spots and solar winds made by a couple of the people. I think that they too have a point in that with increased or decreased sun radiation the climate can shift due to a warming or cooling of the sea surface temperatures. I think there has been some research on this topic and some correlation’s made but I don’t know the authors. Perhaps Willi can make some suggestions.

I hope this clears up my point :)

Have a good day all,

Jim Douris

Antworten